Thursday, January 30, 2020

Academy Awards 2019 Ballot

We all dream in gold
More predictions to come as the night approaches. But all my picks are in.


Best Picture
1. Marriage Story
2. Jojo Rabbit
3. Parasite
4. Little Women
5. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
6. The Irishman
7. 1917
8. Joker
9. Ford v Ferrari
Prediction: 1917

Of what many are considering the main contenders, Parasite is my choice, and I would be happy to throw my support behind it if my horses falter in the early going. But Marriage Story remains the best film of the year, for me.

I have to ask myself whether Jojo Rabbit is the kind of film that ought to represent Best Picture. The more I think about it, the more I associate it with Shakespeare in Love, and consider it worthy. Its cleverness and eventual depth win out. But I won't give my first vote to it with a more serious treatment available that has fewer flaws.

Insider came out today decrying 1917 as a “hollow spectacle.” That’s only slightly harsh and comes much closer to my feelings about it than awarding it Best Picture would be. It’s certainly hollow compared to the thought-provoking others here.

Best Director
Bong Joon-ho, Parasite
Prediction: Sam Mendes, 1917

Some of the shots he constructs are worthy of best cinematography even in a year that includes 1917. I've never seen a director get laughs just out of how events are shot, rather than just their content, quite like he does.

Best Actor
Adam Driver, Marriage Story
Prediction: Joaquin Phoenix, Joker

An absolutely worthy win for Joaquin. He’s deserved one since Gladiator. I just feel Driver’s is the more important, emotionally subtle performance.

Best Actress
Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story
Prediction: Judy

Best Supporting Actor
Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Prediction: Brad Pitt

Best Supporting Actress
Laura Dern, Marriage Story
Prediction: Laura Dern

Best Original Screenplay
Noah Baumbach, Marriage Story

How 1917 even got nominated for this is a sham, and it could foretell a huge night for Mendes. If it wins I’ll incite a Joker-style riot on Manton St.

Best Adapted Screenplay
Jojo Rabbit

Best Animated Feature
Toy Story 4

Best International Feature
Parasite

Best Original Score
Alexandre Desplat, Little Women

Best Original Song
I Can't Let You Throw Yourself Away, Randy Newman, Toy Story 4

Best Sound Editing
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Best Sound Mixing
Ford v Ferrari

Best Production Design
Parasite

Best Cinematography
1917

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

Best Costume Design
Little Women

Best Editing
Parasite or Jojo Rabbit

Best Visual Effects
1917

No comments:

Post a Comment